Support Worker/ Personal Care Assistant
I am looking for personal care for a Man
Drivers licence required: Yes
Hours per week:
Monday/Tuesday 10am-2pm. Wednesday 10am-2pm. Thursday 4-8pm. Shift times can be a little flexible. Cover needed for when PAs are on holiday or off sick
Hourly pay rate:
Are you the person I need to join my team of PAs?
I am a friendly, chatty man in my early 40s.
I have cerebral palsy and hydrocephalus and use an electric wheelchair to get around.
I also enjoy playing board games like draughts and am interested in politics.
I am looking for a reliable, trustworthy and respectful PA to support me to live independently in my own home.
Duties will include providing personal care including using a hoist, meal preparation, domestic/household tasks, caring for my cat and social activities
The successful applicant will be someone who is firm and can motivate/encourage me.
I have a keen interest in football and tennis, so the right person may be asked to accompany me to matches occasionally.
A driver willing to use my motability car is essential. I currently have a manual vehicle but am looking to change to an automatic.
You should be experienced in care, very patient, able to use your own initiative, have a good sense of humour and the ability to explain things clearly and simply.
Flexibility needed on shift times and a willingness to provide cover for when PAs are on holiday or off sick. This is a rewarding role with all professional training provided
This is a rewarding role with all professional training provided
I smoke occasionally.
You will report to me as your employer
Please note that not all these tasks would be required every day, they would vary.
- Laundry- All aspects
- Changing bed linen/ making bed
- Taking out rubbish
- Minor household maintenance eg changing light bulbs, taking down curtains for washing
- Assist with grooming cat (training provided) – employer would help
- Making phone calls on my behalf when I am too unwell to do this
- Making tea for the employer's guests
- Using the hoist for all transfers to/from bed, shower, wheelchair
- Washing and bathing/showering – towelling dry/ drying hair
- Supervision and/or assistance with showering, drying, hair washing/ brushing as required
- Help getting into and out of bath/shower as required
- Checking for pressure sores
- Assistance with applying cream
- General hair/skin care
- Putting my Conveen on
- Using the toilet
- Washing out night bag
- Helping with other aspects of personal care as required, for example assisting employer to get changed at swimming pool/gym (may be required occasionally)
- Accompany and assist employer when accessing social and leisure activities, including cinema, football and tennis matches
- Accompanying employer to doctors/hospital appointments when required
- Occasional longer journeys
- Driving me in my motability car
- Experienced in providing care and using a hoist.
- A driver and willing to drive my motability car
- Would need to be over 25 years of age to drive motability car
- Over 25 for car insurance purposes
- Firm and able to motivate and encourage me.
- Able to explain things clearly and adaptable when communicating.
- Comfortable with cats and willing to assist employer with caring for his cat.
- Able to explain things clearly and simply
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK and be willing to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check if required.
Please note, if you are successful in your application for this position you will be employed directly by the individual employer and not Independent Lives. Successful applicants will be entitled to Holiday pay and will be issued employment contracts.
*Exemption for gender is claimed under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9