Self-Employed Personal Assistant
Location: Haywards Heath
I am looking for personal care for a Child
Drivers licence required:
Hours per week:
16 hours per week, 4 days a week 6am-8am and 4pm-6pm. Some flexibility required for appointments.
Hourly pay rate:
£18.00 per hour
We are looking for a kind and caring, experienced Self-Employed PA for our 7-year-old son to meet his personal care needs, help with manual transfers and participate in fun activities with him. Support would also be required for appointments.
Our son has Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Visual Impairment and Dystonia. He is non-verbal and non-mobile and requires support to move around and time to communicate his needs. Despite these challenges, he has a fantastic sense of humour and uses his cheeky grin and blue eyes to try and get his own way! Someone who can get to know our son and his bespoke needs will be important. Incredible patience is also crucial to give him processing time to respond to questions and social cues.
You will also need to be physically fit to support one of us with a 2-person lift, transferring from his chair in the house to his chair outside to get to school and go on other outings.
Someone who can drive, with a UK driver’s licence, would be preferred as some of the support may involve getting our son out and about to access activities.
We are very lucky to have such a charismatic son who has taught us an awful lot in return and have no doubt that this role will be incredibly rewarding. You will see first-hand how your support benefits our son as he grows through the bond you will create.
- Administering medications- e.g. liquids, mixing medication into food
- Aiding with toileting and changing nappies
- Personal washing including bathing and towel drying
- Supporting our son with getting around the house using specialised equipment
- Supporting us with manual lifts and hoisting
- Supporting with stretching/ exercising
- When home from school: Participate and joining in with activities such as board games, reading books and arts and crafts
- Participate and join in with activities in the garden (weather dependent)
- Plan and organise some activities based around our son's interest and/or stretch his horizons
- Support our son to use his communication book
- Become familiar with the bespoke needs of our son
- Pushing our son's wheelchair both in and our of the house
- Hygienic, well organised and well presented
- Fit and healthy to undertake the required duties including double handed, manual lifts
- Self motivated
- Fun, outgoing personality with a good sense of humour and a lot of patience
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Will have experience of Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy and a willingness to complete training in other aspects of our son’s care.
Non-smoker preferred or someone willing to refrain from smoking during working hours
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK and be willing to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check if required.
Please note, if you are successful in your application for this position you will be employed directly by the individual employer and not Independent Lives. Successful applicants will be entitled to Holiday pay and will be issued employment contracts.
*Exemption for gender is claimed under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9