Personal Support Assistant
Drivers licence required: Yes
Hours per week:
24-hour shift to include a sleeping night. 6 – 10 shifts per 4 weeks, plus shifts to cover holiday & sickness.
Hourly pay rate:
£208 per shift
We are a married couple in our 40’s both with cerebral Palsy, we both use power chairs and speech synthesizers and require all aspects of personal care and helping to keep our home clean and tidy, 2 PSA's (personal support assistants) on duty per shift.
We enjoy life to the full participating in a variety of activities including swimming, horse riding, skiing, and summer holidays. We require an honest, reliable PSA with a good sense of humour, who is willing to accompany us on social activities, holidays, and appointments and who as the ability to cook.
We are looking for a personal support assistant to join our existing, friendly team, if this sounds like the right role, please see more details below.
Other Job Details
During your shift you will have your own room with shared bathroom for use by both PSA's on duty, tv, tea & coffee making facilities.
We all eat together so your meals will be provided during shifts this also includes when we go out for lunch/ Dinner, whilst away on social visits or on holidays.
- Maintenance of garden
- Cleaning of wheelchairs and car
- Assistance with Physiotherapy exercises – training will be provided
- Support with correspondence and household paperwork e.g. reading letter aloud, writing replies, form filling.
- Assistance in the use of the employer’s laptop computer and speech device, including assistance in ‘loading’ the employer’s speech device
Social care tasks
- Driving the employer in his own car
- At certain times of the year, to accompany the employer to the employer’s work
- Accompanying on trips out e.g. to restaurants, shops, pubs, clubs, theatre, cinema, meeting friends and family and swimming
- Attending meetings
- Accompanying to sporting activities e.g. Boccia and wheelchair football
- Able to strictly observe my privacy and confidentiality
- Cheerful, positive and self motivated
- You must have a clean UK drivers’ licence, be over 25 for insurance purposes, happy to drive large accessible automatic vehicles. No experience necessary as full training will be given.
- Must be comfortable with cats
Non-smoker preferred or someone willing to refrain from smoking during working hours
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK and be willing to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check if required.
Please note, if you are successful in your application for this position you will be employed directly by the individual employer and not Independent Lives. Successful applicants will be entitled to Holiday pay and will be issued employment contracts.
*Exemption for gender is claimed under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9