Personal Care Assistant
I am looking for personal care for a Man
Drivers licence required: Yes
Own vehicle needed: Yes
Hours per week:
2 – 3 waking nights per week (10pm-6am) and daytime hours of 6-7.30 am.
Hourly pay rate:
£14.50 waking night hours
Hi, our son is in his mid-twenties, interested in music, computer games, YouTube, cars, dogs (although we don’t have a dog) and bearded dragons (not the kind found in Game of Thrones). He is an intelligent, thoughtful and caring young man with a great sense of humour and although he may be reserved to begin with, he soon opens up once he gets to know you. Family and friends are very important to him.
We are looking for a friendly and reliable personal assistant to support him within our family home. He is a full-time wheelchair user and needs support with day to day living.
Although he is reliant on carers, he is very capable of explaining what he wants and needs doing. We are looking for someone who will talk to him, to ask how he would like things done and work with him and his ideas surrounding his care.
Full training is provided with this role so if you are confident, willing to learn, patient and share some of our son’s interests this could be a great match. It would also be helpful for you to be a confident driver and willing to drive the family’s wheelchair adapted car for social hours, but this is not essential.
The role requires close personal contact with an individual who is extremely vulnerable to the risk of infection and disease transmission. Preference may be given to applicants who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Careful consideration will be given to applicants who can show the vaccination is not suitable for them on reasonable grounds.
Location is only 5 minutes from the bus stop but your own transport will be helpful, there is plenty of car parking space
- The job involves helping him to get ready for bed, medication and changing to night time Bi Pap mask, then repositioning him, toileting, making him comfortable during the night.
- Support with using urine bottle
- Assistance with transfers using a hoist (in/out of wheelchair or bed)
- Helping with other aspects of personal care as required, e.g. supporting my son during the night and getting him ready for bed
- Some PEG Tube feeding will be required (full training provided)
- Support with BIPAP (full training provided)
- Social support: watching TV before bed
- Must be comfortable with pets – I have a bearded dragon lizard which lives in a vivarium
- Driver with UK driving licence preferred, but not essential
Non-smoker due to medical reasons, Vulnerable to the risk of infection and disease transmission
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK and be willing to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check if required.
Please note, if you are successful in your application for this position you will be employed directly by the individual employer and not Independent Lives. Successful applicants will be entitled to Holiday pay and will be issued employment contracts.
*Exemption for gender is claimed under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9