Personal Support Assistant
I am looking for personal care for a Man
Drivers licence required: Yes
Own vehicle needed: Yes
Hours per week:
16 hours available per week to be worked across Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday. Days and times to be mutually agreed
Hourly pay rate:
£10.50 per hour
Our son lives in the annex of our family home and needs support with personal care, domestic support and accessing social and leisure activities. He is in his mid-forties and really appreciates his friends. He loves hosting a simple meal or a coffee and cake morning within his home or at a local cafÃ©.
We would like to find a personal assistant who is friendly and sociable with active listening skills so you are able to understand his bespoke needs. You will be required to keep him safe when he is out and about, walking whenever possible as this helps to maintain his mobility. He needs reassurance to help reduce his anxiety and grow in confidence which will help him maintain friendships and extend his activities.
Our son can express his needs and wishes to people who are familiar with his communication methods. He uses a combination of Makaton, his own signs and routine as well as a process of elimination. He has limited vision so will need the use of physical and verbal prompts as well as guides whilst you are working alongside him. To ensure his safety when out in the community, he will also need to hold an arm to maintain his stability.
A full driving license and your own transport will be desirable to be used during work hours. Mileage will be paid and the rate can be discussed at interview.
This role will make a real difference to my son's life and will be a rewarding opportunity for both him and his personal assistant. Experience may be of benefit but this is not as important as a caring and gentle disposition.
- Help changing bed linen
- Helping to host his friends when they come for a meal or to visit.
- Helping to choose the right temperature (open /close windows.)
- Help with small amount of admin.
- Help making phone calls as required.
- Running bath and selecting correct water temperature.
- Support getting into and out of bath.
- Assist with some bathing, washing hair, towel dry.
- Assistance with applying creams, brushing hair.
- Hair and skin care.
- Straightening shirt collar after dressing himself.
- To give appropriate reassurance throughout these tasks.
- Assistance with medication (when prescribed).
- Helping him to make the best choice of duvet for the time of year.
- Taking genuine interest when he chooses his clothes for the following day.
- Helping him to choose the appropriate coat and clothing when going out.
We would ask the right person for the role to assist our son in the follow areas: Driving/accompanying/supporting/helping and advocating, when necessary, on occasions such as:
- Shopping trips when required.
- To doctors/hospital/dentist/optician appointments.
- Buying an item of clothing.
- To attend activity sessions.
- To attend leisure activities, such as cinema, church, or the theatre.
- To attend a therapy, lesson or course facility.
- To have lunch out in a restaurant or make sandwiches and have a picnic.
- To visit friends or family members.
- To enable him to host friends or share a meal at his home.
- To give assistance and encouragement using a camera and to process the results.
- To engage in Life Story work.
- To continue to think creatively in areas to help him live life to its fullest and help maintain his independence, dignity, and skills.
- Thoughtful about other members of the household.
- Hygienic, well presented and well organized.
- An active listener/communicator.
- Willing gradually to understand his bespoke needs.
- Resourceful and compassionate.
- Previous experience preferred, but a kind and common-sense person approach is essential.
- Happy to engage with training and reflective practices when the need arises.
Non-smoker preferred or someone willing to refrain from smoking during working hours
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK and be willing to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check if required.
Please note, if you are successful in your application for this position you will be employed directly by the individual employer and not Independent Lives. Successful applicants will be entitled to Holiday pay and will be issued employment contracts.
*Exemption for gender is claimed under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9