Personal Care Assistant/ Support Worker
I am looking for personal care for a Man
Drivers licence required: Yes
Hours per week:
Fridays - 09.30-17.00, Wednesday afternoon ideally 1pm-5pm, Saturday/Sunday for 3 or 4 hours and a few extra hours throughout the week to be discussed. Some flexibility can be discussed at interview. Job share available.
Hourly pay rate:
£13 per hour
Hi, our son is in his mid-twenties, interested in music, computer games, You Tube, cars, dogs (although we don't have a dog) and Bearded Dragons (not the kind found in Game of Thrones). He is an intelligent, thoughtful and caring young man with a great sense of humour and although he may be reserved to begin with, he soon opens up once he gets to know you. Family and friends are very important to him, so he does like to see them as much as possible (depending on covid restrictions).
We are looking for a friendly and reliable Personal Assistant to support him within our family home. He is a full-time wheelchair user and needs support with day to day living. You will be working with an existing team of PAs to provide social support as well as personal care so he can remain as independent as possible and live his life to the full.
Although he is reliant on Carers, he is very capable of explaining what he wants and needs doing. We are looking for someone who will talk to him, to ask how he would like things done and work with him and his ideas surrounding his care.
Full training is provided with this role so if you are confident, willing to learn, patient and share some of our sons interests this could be a great match. It would also be helpful for you to be a confident driver and willing to drive the family's wheelchair adapted car, but this is not essential.
Location is only 5 minutes from the bus stop and there is plenty of car parking space
- Support with using urine bottle
- Assistance with transfers using a hoist (in/out of wheelchair or bed)
- Helping with other aspects of personal care as required, e.g. supporting my son in the bath and getting him dressed
- Some PEG Tube feeding will be required (full training provided)
- Support with BIPAP (full training provided)
- Accompany him when accessing social and leisure activities when required
- Occasionally driving and accompanying to social activities such as: Cinema, Pub or coffee shops, Trips into town, Meeting up with friends
- The above duties will involve driving him in our specially adapted car
- Whilst on duty at home watching TV such as F1 racing, Big Bang Theory and Top Gear, playing X Box, watching films and also assisting with other indoor activities
You must be willing to wear PPE which will be provided
Non-smoker due to medical reasons
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK and be willing to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check if required.
Please note, if you are successful in your application for this position you will be employed directly by the individual employer and not Independent Lives. Successful applicants will be entitled to Holiday pay and will be issued employment contracts.
*Exemption for gender is claimed under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9