Personal Assistant / Carer
I am looking for personal care for a Child
Drivers licence required: No
Hours per week:
10 hours per week school holidays split into one 5 hour shift and two 2.5 hour shifts. Days to be arranged.
Hourly pay rate:
£14.25 per hour
My son is 8 years old and has a diagnosis of ASD with a PDA profile. He has a wicked sense of humour and can be very quick with his responses. He loves flags and countries, watching YouTube videos and being outside. He thrives in a child led, non demand environment. He struggles with demands being put on him and adult led activities, working best with choices. He finds busy over stimulating places difficult and needs strategies in place to be able to cope, such as ear defenders and his buggy.
This role is to assist myself to help my child access the community. We will be working together going to places such as the zoo, lakes and cafes as well activities in the home environment. There will be times when you will have to assist me to help my child during unpredictable meltdowns when the environment becomes too overwhelming.
This role will move on to working independently with my child without myself once relationships have been built.
A personal assistant who is calm, patient and gentle in their approach would be a good fit for our family. You will also need to be comfortable around animals due us having a lively 6 month old puppy.
- May require verbal encouragement to use the toilet.
- Will need help to clean his teeth and wipe face.
- To accompany myself to take my son out on trips and leisure activities.
- Accompany on social events meeting family and friends.
- Places we may visit could include: parks, lakes, walks, zoos, swimming pools, cinema, garden centres, Forest Schools
- For the above activities you will be a passenger in my car but on occasion you may be required to meet at the destination and complete your shift there. My son may use a special needs buggy. You will be expected to push him in it, collapse and unfold the buggy. Lift it in and out of the car.
- To assist my son in the household. Helping him with the activities he choses, these could be games such as flag bingo, hide and seek, watching you tube with him, playing the xbox or cooking.
- Kind and caring
- Understanding of my child’s needs
- An understanding of ASD and PDA, willingness to learn about the conditions and open minded to low demand strategies
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK and be willing to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check if required.
Please note, if you are successful in your application for this position you will be employed directly by the individual employer and not Independent Lives. Successful applicants will be entitled to Holiday pay and will be issued employment contracts.
*Exemption for gender is claimed under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9