I am looking for personal care for a Man
Drivers licence required: No
Hours per week:
10 hrs per week
Hourly pay rate:
£11.50 per hour
I am mid aged autistic man looking for someone to escort me to and from the day service I attend in Croydon as your main role during term time. I currently only go one day a week but with a Personal Assistant I hope to attend 3 days a week. Outside of term time I would like my PA to accompany me to parks, cafes and cinema trips to help me get out into the community.
A bit about me
When I am at home I enjoy watching westerns, black and white films, comedies and re-runs of Top of the Pops. Baking and healthy cooking is a passion of mine which comes with a sweet tooth that has to be managed.
I have a very relaxed, charming and sometimes funny demeanour. I am a good mimic, inquisitive and a keen observer of people but I do have a tendency to stare when I find something or someone fascinating. I do make my likes and dislikes very clear, and I love routine however I am open to try new things.
Outside home, I enjoy gentle walks but sometimes I have to be encouraged to do so. Cafes and parks are places I like to visit most. I like to look at my reflection in shop windows, bus windows anything reflective really as I have pride in my appearance.
I don’t like extra loud noises as they disturb me, even people shouting and/or arguing. If I am distressed, I need to be removed from area and gently talked to which helps me calm down. As my vocabulary is limited I am confident in using PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System) and a little Makaton but this is not essential. Sometimes I may repeat statements and or instructions (echolalia).
- Help locating Toilets when out in the community
- Ensure hands have been washed after using the bathroom.
- Accompanying and assisting me on shopping trips. Helping with money handling when required
- Accompanying on trips out when not attending the day service e.g.cafe, park, cinema
- Accompanying to social meetings eg friends, and possibly in the future going to classes for a course I am interested in.
- The best applicant will have good communication (especially if unavailable to support client and or notification when or if running late).
- Reliable, trustworthy and ability to work on their own initiative and be adaptable depending on his health each day. Lots of reassurance is needed so the best person for this role would be patient and calm.
- Do not mind if applicant is male or female, young or older. What is needed is full understanding of his needs, his disabilities (illiterate), autism and a mature outlook.
- As much as he enjoys being outside in the community he can be very vulnerable. Sometimes make prolonged eye contact with members of the public and lack personal space and may touch strangers nose, so being vigilant is necessary.
- Car driver preferred but not essential. Non smoker preferred but not essential. Enhanced DBS. Basic first aid desirable but not essential.
- Covid vaccination not essential as long as you are willing to do a LFT or PCR on a regular basis
- As a key worker role this could compliment an income support claim as it is below the earning limit. Employment include paid holiday and training if required.
Non-smoker preferred or someone willing to refrain from smoking during working hours
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK and be willing to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check if required.
Please note, if you are successful in your application for this position you will be employed directly by the individual employer and not Independent Lives. Successful applicants will be entitled to Holiday pay and will be issued employment contracts.
*Exemption for gender is claimed under the Equality Act 2010 Part 1 Schedule 9